Saturday 31 May 2008

My venture into polymer clay





I've neglected this blog recently - but didn't you just know I would!! My excuse is that I've been sucked into the world of polymer clay. I've been itching to have a go for ages now so I bought all the supplies a couple of weeks ago. The beads pictured above are made using a technique from the fab Donna Kato. I'm really pleased with these and I'm planning to make some more over the weekend in a different colour scheme.


It's really nice to be able to get 'hands on' with the clay - something not possible with hot glass - ouch!

These blue ones are made using a technique called Mokume Gane. They've got little bits of silver and some glitter in them for sparkle. I spent ages sanding to get the beads really smooth. I then polished them with a polishing motor so they've got a lovely shine.



I've also made a few lampwork beads which have now been put on the website. I really hope that some of you will give the polymer beads a try. I think it's often over looked by jewellery designers but it really is a fantastic medium. There are some amazing things that can be done with it - I hope that as I progress with it, I'm able to bring some of those to you.

4 comments:

PolymerClayTutor said...

These are really your first polymer clay beads? They are beautiful! I'm glad to see you have given them the attention they deserve by properly sanding and buffing them. You have done a great job. I would love to see what else you make with polymer clay!

Earth and Fire beads said...

Thank you so much Cindy. I have to say I love the finish you can get with sanding and polishing - I never expected it to be so smooth and shiny. Time consuming but worth it I think.

Ali P said...

Your polymer clay beads look beautiful - are they much lighter weight than glass or do they have a similar feel?
Ali

Earth and Fire beads said...

Thanks Ali - yes they are a bit lighter than glass which is great for focals as sometimes the large glass ones can be a bit heavy. I think they feel just as good as glass though - very smooth and strokeable!